Re: 32 versus 64 bit reading list suggestions

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 05:22:20PM +0300, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
You'll be able to use more RAM, CPU's registers. On the other hand some
software vendors do not support x86 anymore - example: Google Chrome

Expanding on this a little bit: the 64 bit architecture has more CPU
registers which could greatly improve performance for some tasks. I
think that there are certain other CPU instructions that are not
available in 32 bit mode that your programs could take advantage of.

Not only can you use more RAM (you can address >4GiB with 64 bit memory
addresses without requiring workarounds like PAE), but you will almost
certainly *use* more RAM too, since all native pointers are now twice
the size. And, since most of them will be pointing at addresses lower
than the 4GiB boundary, half of all the newly consumed RAM will be
zeroes.

--
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
✎	 jmtd@debian.org
🔗	https://jmtd.net