Having filesystems mounted with the user option be owned by the user that mounts them?

I'm still working on my backup system, and setting up mount points.

I was hoping that if I used "user" (or "users") in the mount command (or in
/etc/fstab) that the mounted filesystem would be owned by the user that mounted
it.  That doesn't (seem to) work.

I could do things like give write permission to everyone, or set up a group
with the users that I might want to be able to write to the backup, or set up
a user for the specific purpose of doing backups, or do the backups as root,
but none of those seem to be appropriate in one way or another.

Is there a simple way to have the mounted filesystem be owned by the user that
mounts it?

(I know something about the -o uid and -o gid options, but (1) that would only
work for one specific uid, and (2), iiuc, that works only for filesystems that
don't use the Unix permissions (e.g., fat32, ntfs, ...).)