Re: reset/change hwaddr/mac in a lxc?

On Wed, 2020-09-02 at 11:17 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 1/09/20 11:49 pm, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> > > My containers (test system, admittedly stretch on stretch) get new MAC
> > > addresses with each boot. Does rebooting (shutdown followed by start)
> > > (the container) solve it?
> >
> > Sadly no. Thanks for suggesting it though.
> >
> > > It does seem odd that you're getting duplicates though.
>
> On my system, the container-specific configs 'include'
>
> /usr/share/lxc/config/debian.common.conf
>
> (probably ubuntu in your case), which includes
>
> /usr/share/lxc/config/common.conf
>
> Has an explicit MAC address config snuck into one of those, or some
> other included file, somehow?
>
> I'd try grepping for the MAC address in places like /usr/share/lxc and
> /etc to see if you can figure out where it's coming from or stored.
>
> Maybe /var/cache/lxc/focal as well?

None found. :(  It's not a big deal, i ended up rebuilding one of the
lxc's that had the dup hwaddr address.  I'm still interested in learning
how/why the mac/hwaddr is stored in an lxc instance just in case I run
into this again.  On a physical system it's part of the nic, but on a
virtual nic it's got to be stored somewhere.

Thx for the info Richard.

-Jim P.