Re: unable to log in

On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 03:24:08PM +0100, anthony gennard wrote:
> I am gradually getting to grips with Jessie although its difficult without
> any memory. Now I am lockout of my user account and do not understand the
> error message which is as follows:-
>
> "could not update ICE authority file /home/john/.ICEauthority"

Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a console, and login there.  Either as your
regular user "john", or as root.

You'll probably find that some of the permissions or ownerships under
/home/john are incorrect.  Start with /home/john itself, and then also
check the file whose path is shown in this error.

ls -ld /home/john /home/john/.ICEauthority

If the owner isn't "john", or if the permissions look screwy, fix them.

After you're done on the console, exit/logout from the shell, and
press either Ctrl-Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to your display
manager login.