Re: Why can't I move the document root for a site in Apache 2? [SOLVED]

On 1/9/20 6:29 pm, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 04:57:28PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:

[...]

Just to be clear, the folder I had to change permissions on is the
<folder containing all the web sites. This is many levels above the
document root,
To be able to access a file given its path, you need to have read
access to each directory [1] along that path. There isn't another
way, and this is a Good Thing [TM]

I don't know if this is a silly question or not, but can you access a file not given its path?

I have the same problem as the OP sometimes and wonder what rules there are for allowing access to directories further along the path.

Cheers

[1] Why people keep insisting in calling those things "folders" is
    beyond me. They don't "fold" anything, do they?

  - t