Re: how to test disk for bad sector

On Saturday, August 29, 2020, 1:05:18 PM EDT, Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 05:46:52 +0000 (UTC)
Long Wind <longwind2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      3891         -
> # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      3890         -
> it's unbelievable that both tests passedi've installed debian to it some time ago, it
> failedtoday i install fedora from usb stick
> while waiting for copying i'm doing something else, not paying attention to pc screen.
> suddenly i find that pc is shutdown
> the most unreliable component of my pc is hard diski've installed linux to other disk of
> same PC, no problem

Based on your numerous checks of the hard disk, and it passing
everything, everytime, the disk is viable.  Your problem is elsewhere.

Run a checksum on the original downloaded installation file, if your
still have it. Checksum the media you installed it to.

Are you installing UEFI or MBR boot option?  Does your hardware support
UEFI?  Depending on how old the system is, it may not.  Are you
installing along with other OSes on the system intending to multiboot
them?  Is Windows installed on the system?

Also, please, please, please don't top post.  It makes it hard to follow
who's replying to whom about what.

i use MBR, i don't know what UEFI is.  Windows was installed in 1st partition, but i have changed partition table to install linux, Windows is erased during installation though installation fail. IMO these have nothing to do with installation failure.