Re: how to test disk for bad sector

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 at 15:48, Long Wind <longwind2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      3891         -
> # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      3890         -
>
> it's unbelievable that both tests passed
> i've installed debian to it some time ago, it failed
> today i install fedora from usb stick
> while waiting for copying i'm doing something else, not paying attention to pc screen. suddenly i find that pc is shutdown
>
> the most unreliable component of my pc is hard disk

If both e2fsck and SMART report no errors, then it
appears that your disk is good.

If you post the complete output of
# smartctl -A /dev/<device>

then we can see the whole story.

> i've installed linux to other disk of same PC, no problem

If there is more than one disk, are you sure that
you are testing the correct device? (sda,sdb,...) ?

You can check the /dev/disk/by-* directories to confirm which device
is used. Or the output of blkid or lsblk commands.