Re: Homebuilt NAS: System Drive Filesystem?

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 01:49:45 -0700
> David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2020-08-21 21:02, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> I'll use "relatime" instead of "noatime." "Relatime" is said to
> create less problems with software that needs dates/times when files,
> etc. were last modified, accessed, etc.

This is reasonable.

> My systems rarely use swap, and when they does it's only a few
> kilobytes. My main 1-year old under-the-desk box with 16GB RAM has
> yet to use any.

Depends on what you're running.

> I won't be using ZFS because of its propensity for lots of RAM. The old
> box I'm using for this project has only 8GB of DDR2, and I don't plan
> to expand that. OpenMediaVault, to its credit, is very lightweight and
> RAM efficient. Perfect for the home NAS on an old system.

I must refute this calumny.

ZFS likes RAM and will use it to the extent possible. It can be
ordered to use a specific (maximum) amount. Deduplication
requires lots of RAM, but hardly anybody actually wants ZFS's
deduplication.

On the nearest server to hand, ZFS is currently using about 2GB
of RAM to support 10TB of available disk space.

-dsr-