Re: recently-used.xbel

On 21/08/2020 12:31, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
On 21/08/2020 14:01, Mike McClain wrote:
     I took a look at ~/.local/share/.recently-used.xbel and see that
not only is it tracking what I do but claims to be the property of
freedesktop.org.
This file records your most recently used local files. It is used to populate the "Recent Files" lists in many applications.

If this still bothers you, you can disable it, but this seems to require per-toolkit settings. For example, for GTK3, edit ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and add this line to the [Settings] section:

gtk-recent-files-enable = 0

See: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/74031/disable-recently-used-in-gtk-file-directory-selector

Delete ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel then log out and back in. You might need similar settings for other toolkits such as GTK2 or Qt; the reappearance of ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel will alert you to this.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director