Re: Disks renamed after update to 'testing'...?

Hi,

didier gaumet wrote:
> give a name to the underlyning [GPT] partition

Let me add the hint that a GPT partition "name" is a user defined string
(in fstab and lsblk: PARTLABEL=) whereas the partition UUIDs in GPT
get handed out by partition editors automatically as random data
(human readable and fstab usable form: PARTUUID=).
The corresponding properties of filesystems are referred to as LABEL= and
UUID=.
So if the mount point shall be bound to a partition's key text, then one
has to prepend "PART" to the more widely used filesystem field names.

I only deem *UUID as safe, unless the same names on different devices
are intented and always only one of those devices will be connected.

Whether to use partition or filesystem UUID depends on whether it is the
goal to identify the hardware or its content. Both have their plausible
use cases.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas