Re: Recommendation for filesystem for USB external drive for backups

Aug 13, 2020, 00:14 by rhkramer@gmail.com:

> I'm getting closer to setting up a consistent backup plan, backing up to an
> external USB drive.  I'm wondering about a reasonable filesystem to use, I
> think I want to stay in the ext2/3/4 family, and I'm wondering if there is any
> good reason to use anything beyond ext2?

I've been using an external USB drive for backups for years (more specifically, a regular HDD in a USB enclosure), it works reasonably well. I use ext4.

ext2 is more prone to lose stuff and become corrupted if your PC shuts down suddenly as it does not have journaling.
ext3 has journaling but is a bit slower than ext4, in my experience
ext4 works well and is able to recover from crashes and is a bit faster than ext3.

Regards,