Re: Some keys on the keyboard do not work

Dear Eugen,

Am Montag 10 August 2020 schrieb Eugen Dedu:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Latitude 5580 laptop, and have been a happy debian
> unstable user for 20 years.  I have a very weird problem with its
> builtin keyboard which slows down my work significantly (ctrl-c,
> ctrl-x, ENTER etc. do not work):
>
> Since several months ago some keys on my keyboard do not work, in all
> the applications (e.g. gnome-terminal, emacs, thundebird, firefox).
> When I press on them, very often nothing happens (usually, I press on
> them for 10 seconds to make appear the character), sometimes the key
> appears twice, and sometimes it works flawlessly.  When it works, it
> works for several minutes or several hours; similarly, when it does
> not work, it does not for several minutes or hours or days.  I use
> very often suspend/resume, I also use xmodmap and awesome window
> manager, but I suppose this is irrelevant.
>
> The problematic keys are found on the last row: xcvm,. (but zbn work)
> and the bottom keys (ctrl, alt, window, however space works always
> correctly), plus ENTER key.
>
> I have always thought that it is a X problem which will get fixed.
> Interesting, a few days ago I noticed that on grub I have the same
> problem: c and ENTER did not work.  So now I wonder if it is not a
> hardware problem, however sometimes it works for a long time!

Just recently I discovered that a keyboard doesn't do anything when I
hit one of these keys (german qwertz layout): qwer uiop 789+

They are all on the same row and I believe something broke inside the
keyboard (I remember vaguely it having let fall down off the desk).

Haven't investigated yet.

> I have looked at Xorg.0.log, without seeing anything wrong.
>
> How can I track down where the problem is, and fix it?

Maybe test with another external keyboard?!

HTH

Kind regards,
Stefan