Re: xterm no title (buster)

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 12:14:30PM +0200, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 09:59:12AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > To verify/falsify that, you might run xprop on your xterm window.
> > The property you are looking for is called WM_NAME. You can even
>
> xprop | grep WM_NAME
> WM_NAME(STRING) = "schaefer@reliand: /home/schaefer"

So xterm is "setting" [1] its title correctly.

> > use xprop to /set/ the window property -- this way you can be sure
>
> xprop -f WM_NAME 8s -set WM_NAME "toto"

This is to be expected, after what you found out above.

[...]

Given that evidence, my guess is that the window manager is somehow
botching the title bar dispay. Either it tries to use some non-existent
font, or it's writing with the same background and foreground colour
or something.

Have you tried another "classic" X program? For example xmag or xeyes?

This may be a hint -- either your window manager is specifically treating
xterm in a special way, or the decorations of all "classic" X programs
fail in the same way.

Cheers

[1] Of course it cannot actually "set" the title. It just can ask
   politely the window manager to do it.

 - t