Re: How to properly import the configuration of the Buster kernel into own development ?

On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 13:14:19 +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are people here who make their own kernels and know how to import the
> configuration of the originally installed kernel ?
>
> What should i do in order to bring the configuration of the original Buster
> kernel 4.19.0 to my experimental kernel which stems from the Buster package
> "linux-source-4.19" ?
> (There seem to be some new configuration options in the source kernel.)

For Debian systems the kernel config is shipped in /boot as
/boot/config-(versioan and variant). You can use this as a basis, if you are
on stable, maybe grab a newer config from unstable or testing first to reduce
the config-differences between mainline and Debian's config.

Copy this config to your source tree as .config.
Then update your config with:
  make oldconfig
You'll be asked what to do about new config options that arent already ruled
out by other selected options. (If you just want to select default for
everything: make olddefconfig)
Now you can treat it like every other (probably valid) config.

> I got lured by
>   https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/ch-common-tasks.html
> into following
>   "generate a configuration based on the running kernel and the currently
>    loaded modules (make localmodconfig)"
> which was obviously a poor decision.

If you want to save yourself some trouble with localmod, start with a
known good distribution config (like debian's) and plug in all devices
you will ever use  before  you run make localmodconfig, to make sure
necessary modules are loaded. You might still need to reenable some
filesystems afterwards, if they weren't in use.

Nito