Re: Apt-get vs Aptitude vs Apt

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 13:31:53 -0400
Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Recently there was a thread about aptitude dependency resolution
> limitations.
>
> Years ago, I believe I read in the Debian documentation that aptitude
> was preferred to apt-get, because it seemed to have better dependency
> resolution.
>
> Now, we have apt, as well.
>
> So, all other things being equal, which is currently considered to be
> the best at dependency resolution?

I believe it is still aptitude.

However, the length of time it takes increases sharply with number of
packages to be upgraded. If you have more than a hundred or so, (not
unusual on unstable) it may take a very long time. It is usually not
the method recommended for upgrading Debian stable to the next version.

--
Joe