Re: Kernel doesn't recognises devices on USB 3 port

> A new portable hard drive and a new flash drive were, in turn, plugged into
> the USB 3 port, but fdisk -l, lsblk and lsusb outputs suggest that
> neither of these devices are recognised by the kernel when in that port.

I have a similar problem with my laptop with a USB 3.0 port. It works
in "legacy" 2x mode and does not play nicely with most USB 3 devices.

Sometimes my USB 3 devices work, sometimes they don't.

A number of other people have complained about this with the general
opinion being that some sort of controller/BIOS/firmware
incompatibility with the Linux kernel is to blame. Others note that
USB 3 is woefully fragmented with the various "generations" and minor
versions not talking to each other and having varying levels of
compliance. USB 4 will allegedly fix most of that.

Some have found that adding a "pci=nomsi" boot parameter will fix the
problem. I haven't tried this myself as I don't entirely understand
how it works. Someone smarter than I probably can explain, though.