Re: [OT] sudo: restrict to physical console only?

On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 10:24:16AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> tomas writes:
> > OTOH practice has shown: if you're doing sudo, you will have forgotten
> > your root password anyway when you need it (I have, it's some horrible
> > "pwgen -n 16" or something), and it' back to...
>
> It should be written down somewhere secure.  Depending on your threat
> model this can be on a note taped to the inside of the machine, in your
> safe, or even in the notebook where you keep all your other passwords.

It's in a file on the encrypted harddisk. Now you may ask... ;-)

Yes, of course. It's in a backup, on an (also) encrypted medium. But all
those possibilities (the ones you mention no less) mean that "init=/bin/sh"
or rescue medium are less work (I haven't a safe).

This is the point I was trying to make: a password you don't use often
isn't that useful if there are perfectly viable alternatives. Thus, /if/
you are using sudo, root password loses much of its glamour. This is
something I learnt slowly.

Cheers
 - t