Re: [OT] sudo: restrict to physical console only?

On 04.08.20 13:39, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 11:44:04AM +0200, Marco Möller wrote:
As my root account is disabled, I do all administration as the "normal" user
with the help of sudo for running administrative commands. The user "root"
shall not login nowhere, not at the physical console and not by ssh, never.

Remember that this also means you can never boot in single-user ("rescue")
mode.  If you ever need to boot in quasi-rescue mode, you'll have to
go down even lower and override the init= kernel parameter.

If you don't know what that means, you should NOT be doing this.

Thanks for this warning, especially as this is a public mailing list and others might find this thread. Fortunately I know already how to help me with the proper init=... boot parameter, which reminds me that I should check if this important detail is also mentioned in the Debian installation documentation or could be added there. I am afraid I have had to look it up elsewhere in the internet, when I needed it in the past, but am not sure about this detail anymore.