Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

On 8/3/2020 12:00 PM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Mon, Aug 03, 2020 at 12:36:43PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Work. Part of the problem is one person's NAS is another person's media
server, with radically different requirements.

And here I am, with my home server used as jukebox (running MPD) as well
as serving that same music collection via DAAPD, and my video collection
as well.  Would that count as "media server"?  Even if it's running on
a puny Banana Pi?

Why not? If you count the GPU you might even outperform some old Cray ;-)

	Uhm no,  :-)

A BPi can stand as a media server, but I don't recommend it in general. A media server to a very limited number of clients does not need much I/O power, but if it needs to recode a video on the fly, a BPi is going to be really hard pressed to keep up, especially if it is attempting to serve multiple streams. Video coding in real time requires a good dose of computing ability.