Re: Enlarging /boot

If you have room for two kernels and you are booting from the newest one: potentially, you can remove the older one to gain some space. If apt update installs another kernel of the same version so you have two 4.19 - reboot when the apt run finishes, make sure that the new kernel boots and runs fine, then remove the older one. The trick is to check that you are booting from the latest version - you don't want to remove a running kernel :(

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 6:39 AM Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
Le 02/08/2020 à 23:48, Leslie Rhorer a écrit :
> On 8/2/2020 3:32 PM, Erwan David wrote:
>> I used the buster installer about 1 year ago,with a fully encrypted
>> disk, thus
>>
>> a /boot/efi partition, a /boot partition then an encrypted lvm.
>>
>> /boot is now not large enough to even have 2 kernels on it,
>> initramfs-tools cannot create the images.
>>
>> I see this
>> /dev/nvme0n1p2                     237M   92M  133M  41% /boot
>> /dev/nvme0n1p1                     511M  5.3M  506M   2% /boot/efi
>>
>> Is it possible to reduce /boot/efi and have some more room for /boot, or
>> should I reinstall the computer ?
>
>     Um, the kernel is only about 5M in size.  With 133M free, there
> should be plenty of room for multiple kernels.  The initrd image is
> usually under 40M, so there should be room for the entire boot image to
> be duplicated.  Note the current use is only 41%.  You shouldn't need
> more space, per se, except that normally the initrd is temporarily
> uncompressed while it is being created.  I think you could get around
> this by employing chroot.

My initrd is 69 M...

>     To answer your question, I am given to understand /boot/efi is a
> vfat file system, so it should be possible to shrink it, move the /boot
> partition, and then expand it.

However both /boot/efi and /boot are critoical for the booting process,
thus my concerns.