Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

On 2020-08-01 16:30, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
I am a big proponent of having a separate boot drive

+1

no matter what the file system, I would definitely up the memory to the 16GB max,

1.  I try very hard not to spend money on obsolete technology.

2. I would wait until the computer is put into use and measurements indicate memory is insufficient.

3. One or more small, fast SSD's used as a ZFS cache devices and/or intent log devices can dramatically improve performance of ZFS.

4. ZFS and non-ECC memory risk the "scrub of death" scenario, which has been debated endlessly.

I also ran desktop hardware as servers for many years, but decided to buy a "real" server (with ECC memory) when building a ZFS file server. The ECC is invisible, but the combination of Xeon processor, dual-channel memory, and server chips throughout provide obvious performance.

David