Re: VMs on external storage CPU overloading

That's the problem: An internal SSD is connected relatively directly to the CPU. Almost all USB keys aren't optimised for fast data transfer other than, perhaps, reading/buffering large  single files. Running a VM means constant read/write, constant update - it would be all the same as pushing a CPU to constant use of a swap file/swap partition. It's massively stressful on I/O - if you've a USB 2.x device, it transfers (very) slowly compared to USB 3.x.

[For an illustration: even identical USB sticks will also vary: writing 2.7GB DVD images to a set of USB 2.0 sticks a couple of weeks ago: most of them took six minutes, one took 35 - poor i/o and constantly swapping to check (I used dd with the oflag=sync option - essential for data integrity.) ]

The nearest comparison would be using a nice new NVME device. Inside a laptop, in an M.2 slot - as fast as you like. Put it into an external USB connected caddy - via USB 3.1 - for data transfer to another NVME inside the laptop and it will be slightly to significantly slower. Same chip, same laptop, moderated through a slower connection. That's the difference between your VM on internal disk and your VM on USB stick

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:44 AM john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:
On 7/31/2020 2:52 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> IMO, allthose question as irrelevant - the problem is the IO. You can try it
>> easily. get USB 2.0 and put a VM on it -
>
> I have and have had no such problems.
> I strongly suspect that there's something else at play.
> E.g. its VM is performing a lot of disk IO.

Can you expand on your thoughts?

The issue only arises when the usbkey is used.

--
John Doe