Re: Signature not working

On Fri Jul 31 14:39:39 2020 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

>>> Then you're confused: his `-- t` is perfectly normal and valid
>>
>> No, I'm not confused.  '-- t' is NOT a valid sig separator.
>
> Indeed it's not, and that's OK because Tomas doesn't use it as
> a "signature separator" (the thing that should be `-- \n`), but
> just as the last line of text in his email, which stands more or
> less for his name.
>
> There are 3 separate notions of signature here at play:
> A) the `-- \n` notion of signature taken from ~/.signature.
> B) the non-computer-related notion of someone adding his name
>     at the end of his text
> C) the cryptographic data meant to prove authenticity.
>
> Tomas means his `-- t` to be of the (B) category (just like my
> `-nStefan` below), and according to the RFCs with which I'm familiar
> it does indeed correctly fall into the (B) category.
>
> IIUC you think it was meant to be in the (A) category, but I have no
> idea what makes you think so.

Compounding the confusion, even the signatures from The Wanderer and
Brad Rogers don't come out properly on my machine.  I read this list
through the newsgroup linux.debian.user, using slrn - and the "--\n"
from these two people comes through as --=20, hence is not recognized.
This probably has something to do with the fact that their messages
contain a "Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable", which I've
always thought to be a nasty format.

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  Apple is a cult.