Re: VMs on external storage CPU overloading

Answering here to Stefanand Deloptes.

On 7/31/2020 7:54 AM, deloptes wrote:
Stefan Monnier wrote:

What makes you think so?  Does it overheat?  Is the "load average" too
high? Where is the CPU time spent (i.e. e.g. what does `top` say, is it
mostly in "wait"?  "kernel"?  "user"?)?

Load avrage as shown by 'uptime' and my CPU was at full speed when using
the usbkey ('lscpu').

Have you tried to install a similar (tho probably smaller) VM on your
internal storage just in order to see if the problem comes from the
external storage or from the VM itself?

I can confirm that the issue is only when using the usbkey (external
storage).

IMO, allthose question as irrelevant - the problem is the IO. You can try it
easily. get USB 2.0 and put a VM on it - try to start it - you will know
what OP means. Obviously also USB3 are not always USB3 :D

Thanks to DSR, I know that I have a slow device (lacking 'UASP' support)
and this is most likely the issue as everything works fine when using
internal storage.
As uptime takes IO into consideration, what's the best way to
demonstrate that fact?

In other words, what command can I use to ensure that it is a IO issue.

To Deloptes,

I have a single board with only USB 3.0 but thanks for your thoughts.

--
John Doe