Re: VMs on external storage CPU overloading

john doe wrote:
> On 7/30/2020 4:41 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > Two things:
> >
> > - your CPU load, depending on how you measure it, may include
> >    processes which are waiting for I/O. This I/O is very slow,
> >    so.
> >
> > - not all USB3 devices are the same. Many implement a
> >    single-request system, where the kernel is only allowed to
> >    make a read or write call, then wait for the response, then
> >    issue the next call. Anything describing itself as a "key"
> >    is particularly likely to have this.
> >

> Is there any way to verify this (command wize)?

$ usb-devices

will show

 Driver=usb-storage

for a slow device, and

 Driver=uas

for a fast device.

> > Can you change your external storage?
>
> Any suggestion?

You're looking for a device that has UASP support rather than
just USB Mass Storage. Some vendors make it easier to search
for this than others, e.g.

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/?filter_UASP_YN=Yes

will show you all the StarTech USB3 enclosures that do UASP.

I don't have any specific recommendations.

-dsr-