Re: BIOS time fine, Linux/Debian's isn't! ...

On 7/30/20, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I used the same laptop with another hard drive with a Windows
> installation which shows the time correctly.
>
>  How do you make Linux get the time from the BIOS at start time and
> take it from there?

While you're waiting for others to chime in, this is what I do k/t
debootstrap'ing on regular occasion. One of the very first steps in
the debootstrap process is to:

# editor /etc/adjtime

Then fill it with these three lines:

0.0 0 0.0
0
UTC

After that, the next (terminal command line) step is:

# dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Where we pick from those first choices and then next the more
localized spot that echoes our own local times. When the second step
completes, the feedback I receive looks like this:

Current default time zone: 'America/New_York'
Local time is now:      Thu Jul 30 07:27:23 EDT 2020.
Universal Time is now:  Thu Jul 30 11:27:23 UTC 2020.

Just learned something new myself here after all this time. If I page
down on that second screen (which I NEVER do), it offers "US" as an
alternative to "America". When dpkg-reconfigure completes with that
option selected, the slightly altered feedback says this instead:

Current default time zone: 'US/Eastern'

There may be some professional, universal benefit to using one of
those versus the other so there they are. Right offhand, I can see
where more people around the globe might recognize the geographical
location of New York a lot easier than they might be able to
distinguish between the United States' usage of Eastern and Central
time zones, etc. :)

Hope that helps someone out here. Have fun!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *