Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Hi! all,
>
> Thought putting an old, retired system to good use would be better than
> letting it gather dust in a closet.  And by old, I mean OOOOOLD! I
> built it 13 years ago.  However, it's been upgraded many times since,
> and was still my main box running Stretch until last year. Its current
> specs: ASRock A770DE+ AM3 MB, AMD Phenom II x4 @ 3.0 GHZ, 8GB DDR2 RAM
> (max 16GB), 6 - SATA II & 1 - IDE connections, USB2.0.
>
> The problem I've run into is finding a NAS OS to run on it.  They all
> seem to require UEFI. which this MB does not support.  (I said it was
> old.)  However, in my search I did come across OpenMediaVault which is
> a simple, lightweight NAS OS based on Debian Jessie that will work with
> either MBR or UEFI.  One nice feature OMV has is it can be installed as
> a service on top of any Debian OS.  So, I can use something more
> contemporary and still supported.
>
> Anyone currently using OpenMediaVault, or have recommendations for
> another package, or advice, in general, on homebuilt NAS?

Debian with ZFS.

Not "built on two-releases-ago Debian". Current, stable Debian.

I recommend making sure you have a new power supply and a UPS,
too. Cyberpower makes decent ones for reasonable prices and nut
supports them.

Maxing out the RAM will probably only cost $10 or so, if
you can find the person in your city who hoards old RAM.

nut - UPS management
samba - if you need to share files with Windows
netatalk - if you need to share files with Mac OS, or be a TimeMachine
mythtv or gerbera or kodi - home theater operations
forked-daapd - music server (has web client, speaks ITunes and
                             MPD and Chromecast)

Having any web server set up to serve a directory tree is
generally useful.

-dsr-