Re: [Interim Solution] Re: FOSS equivalents of *OLD* database and spreadsheet tools?

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 04:40:24 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 07/27/2020 10:13 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> > You may wish to have a look at recutils:
> >
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/
> >
> > but it may not have some of the functionality you wish (although you
> > could build on it with shell scripts & awk, say).
> >

> A database is over-kill for some personal preferences.

Which isn't what you're talking about.

> I had mentioned spreadsheets in original post as I had visualized a
> multiple page spreadsheet. One page for the nutrient components of a
> food. One page that would be used to input date, food, and amount.

Presumably you don't want to also enter the nutrients for each food in
each meal, you want your system to look up values for that food from a
list somewhere.

> page that would have date and total of nutrient for that date. But I
> couldn't figure out the details.
>
> IIUC can import data from a CSV file.
> I could have one file for nutrient content of foods and one file with
> date, food, quantity, and unique record id.

And this is the kind of thing that spreadsheets can do on a small
scale, but they don't scale up well. As I said, I'm on over 300 foods
and adding one or two a week. I'm also looking at about a dozen
nutrients, and have over 17,000 journal entries over about 2 1/2 years.

This is exactly the kind of thing that databases are very good at.

> Process would be edit to the appropriate CSV file to add information.
> There would be a "report generator" which would read CSV files,
> convert them to recfile, then create a "Total Consumed" recfile to be
> displayed. [ A data join IIUC]. That recfile may initially be display
> only.

So is this.

I'd recommend using the right tool for the job.

--
Joe