Re: What package should I install to have a working wired LAN connection?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am unable to answer your question, viz. "Does that happen for yours?" because I am unable to boot into the Gnome desktop environment after a minimal install of Debian 10.4

Regards.

Alan Reding

P.S.: I posted a question on how to boot into the Gnome desktop to the mailing list a few minutes before this question.

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 4:06:38 AM GMT+8, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

gajuph4pre@yahoo.com wrote:
> My machine does not have an RJ-45 port.
>
> Based on my experience with Microsoft Windows OS, I need to use an Ethernet-to-USB adapter to have a wired LAN connection.
>
> As a result, during Expert Install, Debian 10.4 did not auto-detect the network hardware and it was unable to use DHCP to configure my network.
>
> Post installation, could someone advise me on which Debian package or driver I should install?
>
> Note: According to Microsoft Windows, the Ethernet-to-USB adapter is called ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

I have an Amazon USB3 ethernet adapter right here, which uses
the same chipset:

lsusb -v -s 004:006

Bus 004 Device 006: ID 0b95:1790 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88179
Gigabit Ethernet

ip link show

produces a new enx-prefixed ethernet device as soon as I plug it

in.

Does that happen for yours?

-dsr-