Re: SANE default scanner

On Monday 27 July 2020 14:32:11 Brian wrote:

> On Mon 27 Jul 2020 at 16:52:19 +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> > Georgi Naplatanov (12020-07-27):
> > > Did you try to add scanners to /etc/sane.d/net.conf
> > >
> > > there is another howto
> > >
> > > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/sane
> >
> > I did, and as expected it does not work, because
> >
> > "hpaio:/net/deskjet_3050a_j611_series?ip=10.0.1.155"
> >
> > looks nothing like the provided examples:
> >
> > 192.168.0.15
> >
> > ::1
> >
> > localhost
> > scan-server.office.lan
> >
> > net.conf is for scanner shared with SANE's protocol. Notice the
> > "hpaio:" fake URL protocol.
>
> You have fundamental misunderstanding about the purpose of net.conf.
> As the wiki says:
>
>  Note that the net backend is not for accessing arbitrary
>  scanners over a network. It's intended use is for the server
>  (which has a SANE-supported scanner) to be able to export that
>  scanner to clients on the network via a single SANE-specific,
>  manufacturer-agnostic protocol.

At high risk of hyjacking the thread, I have been following along, hoping
to be able to find my aio BIG brother scanner over the net, say from an
rpi4 running buster in the garage. This aio has both cat5 from a local
switch and a usb cable from this machine plugged into it and the aio has
a local net address of ###.###.71.21 assigned and is pingable from
anyplace on my local network. But the pi can only find it via the usb
cable.

[dll] sane_get_devices: found 1 devices
device `net:##.##.71.3:brother4:bus4;dev2' is a Brother MFC-J6920DW USB
scanner

Why can't it be found at 71.21?  The .3 is this machine.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis