Re: Obscure error messages from ACPI BERT in dmesg

Hi,

Semih Ozlem wrote:
> whenever I logon and have more than a few pages in
> firefox open, suddenly my memory usage (memory is 3.7 GiB as displayed by
> ubuntu system monitor) is around 70 and 80 percent. If I open a few more
> pages it jumps. If it reaches 100 % the computer freezes.

Well, yes, if your RAM is full and cannot be outsourced to swap storage
then undesirable things happen.

> I am wondering if
> the issues are at all related, and if you know ways of monitoring the system
> to decide whether it is just an issue of RAM being not powerful enough,

If you see in dmesg output
  [...] BERT: Error records from previous boot:
then maybe this is hardware related too.

But if firefox is just eating up your memory, then only more RAM or more
swap storage can help.
For a quick test, you could create a swap file on disk and try whether
your system gets more endurance.
See e.g.
  https://linuxize.com/post/create-a-linux-swap-file/

If not by some colorful system monitor i would watch the load on RAM
and swap by periodically executing command
  free -h
and ignoring all its columns except the first two: "total" and "used".

But as one can see from my recent posts, i am not an experienced sysadmin
who knows the most thorough hardware tests.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas