Re: Do other owners of WD Gold disks hear a periodic plonk ?

On 2020-07-24 14:35, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Hello.  :-)

David Christensen wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_of_death

But that's a different technology (and 20 years ago).

I have a few Zip drives on the shelf, but only rarely used them back when. My recent "Click of death" experiences have been magnetic hard disk drives. I may have heard it on floppy and/or optical drives.

If you cannot return the drive, I would download, install, and run
"Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows":
https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL#downloads

I live in a biotope where MS-Windows is not available for tests.

I always keep at least one Windows operational instance for such needs. My last Windows 7 Pro COA came from a recycled laptop for US$ 25 on eBay. Windows 10 Pro COA's currently seem to start around US$ 30.

Does the drive make the same noise when the computer is running other
operating systems, such as Windows?

It does it without any OS while showing me its mainboard firmware status
page with processor temperature (31 C at 25 C room temperature), fan speeds,
and the list of storage devices.

Click of death.

David