Re: On line meet up Thursday 17:30

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 04:45:43PM +1000, Keith bainbridge wrote:
> Probably right, but I wasn't sure if UTC adjusted to daylight saving time,
> and got a couple of conflicting versions when I searched.

It doesn't.  If your local time zone does DST, you will notice that
your offset from UTC changes when your clock changes.

For me (America/New_York aka US/Eastern aka EST5EDT), the current offset
from UTC is 4 hours.

unicorn:~$ date; date -u
Thu Jul 23 07:37:55 EDT 2020
Thu Jul 23 11:37:55 UTC 2020

When my clock goes back to normal in the late fall, it will be 5 hours.

Regardless of what the Internet tells you about UTC, though, you don't
have to *know* how it actually works.  You just have to know enough
to run "date -u" to get your current offset, and then apply that
offset to your appointment time.  Assuming of course that your
appointment time is on the same side of a DST break as you are now.