Re: Slow wifi-reconnection when waking up

On 22/07/2020 20:04, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> When I wake up from suspend, my Debian machines take a "long" time to
> reconnect to the wifi.  Looking at the `nm-applet` icon in my XFCE4
> panel, I see:
> - for about 10s the icon is "two computers" (which IIUC represents
>   just NetworkManager).
> - then the icon changes to the one representing a wired ethernet
>   connection and stays that way for about 10s (there's nothing
>   plugged into the ethernet port of this computer).
> - then the icon changes to the "two dots, with something circling
>   between them" which indicates that the system is in the process of
>   connecting to a wifi network.
> - after about 5s this changes to the bars representation of the
>   signal quality.
>
> IOW, while it takes about 5s to connect to the wifi network, it takes
> about 20 additional seconds for NM to decide that it should try to
> connect.
>
> I have the impression that a few years ago, my Debian machines
> reconnected more quickly to the wifi.
>
> I can live with this delay, especially when it's waking up in
> a different place than where it got suspended, but in the case where
> it's waking up at the same place where it got suspended, those extra 20s
> seem hard to justify.
>
> Any idea what might be going on and how to make it quicker?

My current laptop is nice and fast, with an nvme boot drive, so I've
been doing some investigations into speeding up boot times as well. One
of the things I found that increased network start-up time was switching
from the isc-dhcp-client to dhcpcd (the dhcp client daemon - not to be
confused with dhcpd). While the ISC client is the reference DHCP client,
the dhcpcd implementation just seems to be more reliable at picking up
an IP first time.