Re: Workstation configuration

Hi,

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Back when there was a difference between PCs and workstations the main
> rule I remember was that about half the money went to the screen.

And the box with the screen had big warnings that two people are needed
to unpack the content.

> My last PC/workstation was a good bit less money than that

Man goennt sich ja sonst nichts. :))
(= One doesn't allow oneself any other luxury.)

In any case it is what i can reasonably wish for.
I already have scruples because of the 32 GB of RAM. 16 would have been
enough. But i have this reflex to double the capacity with each new
generation of hardware. (Need to buy some organic turnips to compensate.)

> *actually* (rather than "extra") silent (Thin-ITX with a fanless case).

I began my planning with a small fanless system, because CPU power isn't
really an issue for me nowadays.
But i need a replacement for my current workstation after 5 years of
relentless service. There must be room for two SATA attached optical drives
and i was instructed that i want ECC RAM again. From ECC RAM my
hardware supplier quickly got to Xeon and matching mainboards. The local
Ryzen biotope for ECC is still small.
So i will have to endure some fans, albeit large and slowly spinning.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas