Problem with mirrors in a 10.4.0 install

Hi,

So I'm installing 10.4.0 on a new box and I'm unable to set up a mirror to assist with the install. I'm using Expert Install ( although clearly I'm not expert enough ) and I've included "Choose Mirror" in the selected "Additional Components" of "Load Installer". I've tried using ftp.us.debian.org and debian.gtisc.gatech.edu both of which show support for buster (10.4) in debian/dists/Debian10.4/ .

My networking in the install is correctly set up I believe. Although the installer doesn't have ping capability (ash), I am able to ping the new box correctly from another host on my lan. I've selected http as the mirror protocol and there is no proxy involved. I've also successfully checked the integrity of the CD-ROM.

From the installer I get the following error message:
Bad Archive Mirror
An error has been detected while trying to use the specified Debian archive mirror. Possible reasons for the error are: incorrect mirror specified; mirror is not available (possibly due to an unreliable network connection); mirror is broken (for example because an invalid Release file was found); mirror does not support the correct Debian version. Additional details may be available from /var/log/syslog or on virtual console 4.
Please check the specified mirror or try a different one.

From the F4 console I get the error:
choose-mirror [20574]: WARNING **: mirror does not support the specified release (buster).

From /var/log/syslog I get these messages:
choose-mirror [20574]: DEBUG: command: wget --no-verbose http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/Release -O - |grep -E '^(Suite|Codename|Architectures):'
And then the same error message as on the F4 console above.

So how can I take my diagnostics further? Is there anything else I can examine through a console or log or config file? Might the installer be using the wrong Architecture or something. What might the source of the error be?

	All advice appreciated,

	Bill
--
Sent using Icedove on Debian GNU/Linux.