Re: Workstation configuration

Hi,

Dan Ritter wrote:
> Machrone's Law: the computer you really want always costs $5000.

There once was a rule for Hewlett Packard Germany that every part
costs 5000 Mark.

Actually i am in good hope for my next workstation for about 1600 EUR:
  Xeon, 4+ GHz, 4 core, 32 GB DDR4-2666 ECC,
  500 GB NVMe x4, 4 TB HDD CMR, Blu-ray burner,
  low noise Midi-Tower, extra silent 550W power supply
(3 percent points VAT reduction because of the plague times we are in !)

I lack of ideas for employing more than 4 cores with 8 threads.
But if i had bursting money bags, highly parallel work to do,
and a free room in the basement, i'd consider a double processor
with 192 cores and 768 Threads:

  https://www.hardwareluxx.de/images/cdn01/8796C26D364947EEADD20D47BCA5D03D/img/9A6D747A98C74942B3962C889D782DDC/Gigabyte-Marvell-ThunderX3-00001_9A6D747A98C74942B3962C889D782DDC.jpg

Nevertheless, i am already duely impressed by the single Threadripper
with 64 cores (for about 3900 EUR over here).

Have a nice day :)

Thomas