Re: Slic3r --gui won't run

On Monday 20 July 2020 00:49:48 David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 19 Jul 2020 at 11:55:05 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > Looks like it is. Because [1] shows libwx-perl, and it's a real
> > > package.
> > >
> > > [1] https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libwx-perl
> >
> > I found a page that shows what my sources.list should look like,
> > made it so, but still can't install libwx-perl because there is not
> > a perl-api-5.24.1 and a matching lib.  If this is a dependency of
> > slic3r
>
>       ↑ lose that hyphen.
>
> Package: perl-base
> Source: perl
> Version: 5.24.1-3+deb9u6
> Essential: yes
>
> You must have this.
>
> Provides: libfile-path-perl, libfile-temp-perl, libio-socket-ip-perl,
> libscalar-list-utils-perl, libsocket-perl, libxsloader-perl,
> perlapi-5.24.1
>
> On Sun 19 Jul 2020 at 14:30:54 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > If APT can't find a solution adding more packages to the install
> > > line won't help.

> > > Considering how your sources.list looked like there's a non-zero
> > > probability your system is in an inconsistent state due to
> > > packages from stretch-backports that shouldn't be there.
> > >
> > > The easiest way to find all installed packages from backports is
> > > to run
> > >
> > >     aptitude search '?narrow(?installed,?archive(backports))'
> > >

> > > Yes, I know you wrote you don't trust 'aptitude', this is just a
> > > search :)
> >
> > that spits out about 3 or 4 lines of text and blanks it, in about
> > 100 millisecs, and will not redirect to |less. No line feeds IOW. I
> > don't read at 20k wpm, so I've no clue what its trying to tell me.
>
> Nothing at that point; it's just building indices.
>
> BTW you could find that out by running   script   before the command,
> and looking at ./typescript afterwards. In fact, you might save a lot
> of time and effort when you're individualistically configuring your
> systems by always running script. Because ./typescript gets
> overwritten each time, I wrap it:
>
> scrip is a function
> scrip ()
> {
>     script "typescript-$HOSTNAME-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S)-$1"
> }
>
> $ dpkg -l | grep '\<bpo'
>
> will likely give you a list of your backports as you don't trust
> aptitude.
>
> Cheers,
> David.
I added perl-base to the list; but get this:

gene@coyote:~$ sudo apt-get install --allow-downgrades perl-base
libwxgtk3.0-dev=3.0.2+dfsg-4 libwxgtk-media3.0-dev=3.0.2+dfsg-4
[sudo] password for gene:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
perl-base is already the newest version (5.24.1-3+deb9u7).
or been moved out of Incoming.

 libwxgtk-media3.0-dev : Depends: wx3.0-headers (= 3.0.2+dfsg-4) but
3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1 is to be installed
                         Depends: libwxgtk-media3.0-0v5 (= 3.0.2+dfsg-4)
but 3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1 is to be installed
 libwxgtk3.0-dev : Depends: wx3.0-headers (= 3.0.2+dfsg-4) but
3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1 is to be installed
                   Depends: libwxgtk3.0-0v5 (= 3.0.2+dfsg-4) but
3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1 is to be installed
                   Depends: libwxbase3.0-dev (= 3.0.2+dfsg-4) but
3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1 is to be installed

Those packages that are named aas to be instalkled, are in fact
installed.

Now, if I have intentionally "held" broken packages, should those
packages not be mentioned in preferences.d?

gene@coyote:~$ ls -l /etc/apt/preferences.d/
total 0

I don't have all of the apt stuff installed, but I'm going to add aptsh
and apt-show-versions. Somewhere, and I have asked how to get apt to
actually name the %$@^& problem package and been ignored, what, at least
5 times in this thread.  But if it has a problem with a package that is
causing all this BS, then it seems to me it ought to be able to name the
exact @*&@& package.

So lets get to it and issue the command that will identify THAT package.
Experimenting here, apt-show-versions | grep newer spits out several
hundred lines.

sudo aptsh
orphans has been grinding along, burning up one core for around 10
minutes. killed it with a root htop after 15 minutes of no output.
Your turn.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis