Re: Bug #961990

On 2020-07-19 at 16:27, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> This has been going on since the beginning of June, 2020, with no end in sight.
>> Bug #961990 - IIUC, no activity since 2020-06-02.
>
> You show a session where you reject all the proposed solutions, but
> I don't see any justification why you reject those choices, so I don't
> know what you consider to be a bug.
>
>>      Remove the following packages:
>> 1)     libgcc1 [1:10.1.0-1 (now, unstable)]
>> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
>
> I said `y` here and lived happily ever after.

As he made clear later on, he rejected this because he has (or wants to
have) packages from external repositories which depend on libgcc1 by
that name and which he isn't willing to give up.

IOW, not only is he running sid (unofficial motto: "whenever it breaks,
you get to keep all the pieces"), he's also running a partial
FrankenDebian (those external repositories' URLs indicate that they
correspond to buster, not to sid), and is complaining that an apparently
internally consistent state of packages in sid isn't consistent with the
state of packages in those external repositories.

The only solution here I can think of offhand would be to rebuild the
packages from those external repositories to reflect the new package
names that exist in sid. As it happens, libgcc-s1 is also the package in
testing at the moment (albeit at an earlier version), so there's more of
a case for convincing the upstreams of those repositories to do that
rebuild now rather than later - but it's probably theoretically possible
to do it locally, too.

(Well, switching to track a newer-than-buster version of those external
repositories, or to track buster itself instead of sid for the internal
repositories, would also resolve the conflict. But the former may not
exist, and the latter would involve significant downgrades from what
he's probably already installed, so neiterh is likely to be considered a
real solution.)

--
   The Wanderer