Re: tmpfs is not a ramdisk (was: delimiters with more than one character? ...)

On Friday, July 17, 2020 12:09:05 PM David Wright wrote:
> On Fri 17 Jul 2020 at 13:22:12 (+0200), Nicolas George wrote:
> > rhkramer@gmail.com (12020-07-17):
> […]
>
> > > Among other things, should I be worried that it won't disappear on
> > > power loss / reboot?
> >
> > Depends on what kind of disappear you want. If all you want is not to
> > have to worry about cleaning up, then you are good with tmpfs.
> >
> > If you are worried that sensitive data may end up on disk, then encrypt
> > your swap with an ephemeral key.
>
> In the absence of encryption, bear in mind that cleaning up only takes
> place while the system boots up. Until then, everything remains on the
> disk and can be examined merely by booting from, say, a USB stick instead.

Just to make sure I understand, you're talking about clean up of swap on an
HDD partition, right?

As far as the tmpfs stuff in RAM, it basically disappears when the power decays
(after a not too long delay) and barring some kind of NSA techniques to
capture it?

(But, I guess I should think about encrypting swap :-(