Re: workstation buying advice

Hi,

lina wrote:
> [...] workstation [...]
> [...] Supermicro X11DPi-N [...]
> CPU S3647 Intel Xeon Gold 6230R 2,1-4,0GHz 36MB 26-core 52-thread 150W  2,00

The CPU is very recent. But it seems not to be allergic to Linux
  http://www.spec.org/cpu2017/results/res2020q2/cpu2017-20200331-21877.html

The mainboard seems to work with elderly Linux kernels:
  https://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C621.cfm?page=2

> DDR4 32GB PC21300 2666MHz RDIMM ECC REG Samsung 1,2V 6,00

One never can have too much RAM.

> Supermicro CSE-732i-R500 [...] 500W

If already your CPUs are specified to have a TDP of 150 W each then a 500 W
power supply appears dangerously close to the minimum requirements:
  https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-x11dpi-n-e-atx-motherboard-review/
  "We find an idle power draw of 132 watts and Peak of 394 watts to be
   quite common"
That was with 130 W Xeons.

>  my past experience that my SSD was invisible during installation.

One would probably need to know what went wrong with which Debian release
in order to make a qualified guess for the current Debian release.

> The purpose of this workstation is for parallel computation purposes.

I would call such a thing a server. :))

Have a nice day :)

Thomas