Re: what calculator do you use?

On 2020-07-13 at 06:01, Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 03:31:10PM +0800, kaye n wrote:
>> Hello Friends,
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any calculator app in my Debian os.
>
> There are plenty, for all tastes. Try "apt search calculator".
>
>> What do you guys use? I'm having trouble with Galculator.
>
> bc, simple as that. Everything else requires more keystokes or a mouse.

What about calc (currently in the package of that name, formerly in the
package apcalc)? That being what I've used for over a decade now.

Reading through the bc man page, it looks to me as if using calc it
should take comparable numbers of keystrokes, aside from typing the name
of the program itself.

In some contexts it could even need fewer; for example, calc (as shipped
in Debian) provides the built-in function 'pi()', which takes a
precision - expressed as a value between zero and one - and returns pi
to that level of precision. The list of built-in functions in the bc man
page is very short, and doesn't include any such thing, so unless
something has added one without the man page getting updated anything
that needs to use pi is going to take more typing than with calc.

calc also has the option to present non-integer output in the form of a
ratio of two integers, which means you don't have to figure out manually
what fraction a given result is; at a skim, I don't see indication that
bc has comparable functionality.

I've heard recommendation of bc before, but to date I've yet to
encounter anything that makes it seem preferable over calc, and I'm
curious what I'm missing.

--
   The Wanderer