Re: Using .XCompose

On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 07:14:33PM -0500, David Wright wrote:

> > I was just trying to find out the reason why the 'composting' was
> > not working. I tried including the modifier name and also without
> > it. I tried moving the key to the first layer of keyboard layout
> > (without shift or other modifiers). Even that was not working.
>
> I think you're now talking about the /usr/share/X11/xkb/ files,
> and overriding them in /etc/. I don't touch those, and can't help you
> there. I read them, to help in configuring /etc/default/ files, but
> no more than that.

I added a new "FunkyZen" layout file to /usr/share/X11/xkb/, a modification of the US keymap I think.

Can we create new layouts by just adding a file to /etc ??

> I should have said that the usual way to write this file is to run
> # dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
> (and that command can also be run after editing it in order to
> validate/correct it). I should also add that in my experience,
> it's best done in a VC, without an X session even running.

Ooh!  Now _that_ could be highly useful next time he (this friend of mine who seems to be oddly wearing a brown paper bag right now) looks at my, I mean his custom keyboard layout...

> (In systemd, there's also this mysterious command
> # service keyboard-setup restart
> about which I know nothing. I've never used it.)

Must investigate.

If my friend were to write an ad hock end user custom keyboard layout customizer, what would be the minimal set of perms required to do its job?  (My friend does not use `sudo` you see...)

> > and my .XCompose file now is
> > include "%L"
> > <Multi_key> <s> <x>                     : "✄"   U2704 # WHITE SCISSORS
> >
> > However, when I press Caps Lock followed by s and then x or if I
> > keep the Caps Lock pressed while I press s and x in sequence, I
> > don't get scissors. I get S and X.
>
> That appears to indicate that CapsLock is not your Compose Key, but is
> behaving as normal, turning s and x into S and X.

Although various desktops have GUIs to choose Compose key, it is Better ™©® to set this at a lower level so it also kinda works in the Linux console.  I guess my friend's question is how best to arrange the perms/sudo side of things for a GUI that wants to make this easy for end users?