Re: /etc/default/grub doesn't exist, what to do?

On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 02:43:15PM -0400, Borden Rhodes wrote:
> My computer doesn't have a /etc/default/grub file. I can't tell you
> why. I didn't intentionally delete it. I have a bunch of configuration
> files in /etc/grub.d , but I don't want to touch any of them because I
> don't know what put them there or if/when they'll be overwritten.

It would help if you said which version of Debian you're using.

On buster, that file isn't registered as a conf file in any package, so
it's produced by cryptogenic means.  Maybe the installer created it, or
maybe it was created by some package's postinst.  Who can tell?  Who
can know?  I tried reading /var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-efi-amd64.postinst
and couldn't find any code to create it if it's missing.

Your best bet is probably to grab /etc/default/grub from some other
Debian system that matches your Debian version and architecture, and
then modify it as needed.