Re: Cannot get systemd to forget about swap space on a failed disk

On Tue 30 Jun 2020 at 22:04:02 (-0700), Bob McGowan wrote:
> On 6/29/2020 11:37 PM, Reco wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:10:44PM -0700, Bob McGowan wrote:
> > > But I cannot figure out where this might be, or even if this is the correct interpretation.
> > Check out the contents of /etc/systemd/system first.
> > Rebuild initramfs second.
>
> It seems my troubleshooting skills are not up to snuff. :(
>
> I isolated the wrong disk.  This is partly due to the complexity
> (excessive, I think) of the systemd system, partly due to the fact
> that the startup reports of running jobs associated with disks
> overwrite each other, and I just grabbed the wrong one.
>
> Regardless, upon commenting the correct disk out of fstab, and adding
> back my new secondary swap, everything works again as expected.
>
> It may help others to know what I did.
>
> Part of my original failure to find anything was because I was focused
> on the /lib/systemd, /usr/lib/systemd and /etc/systemd directories.
> Even though I had read the documentation that referenced /run/systemd,
> I had not checked it out.
>
> When I did, I immediately found the correct UUID information for the
> actual failing disk.  And the rest is history.

I've never consulted those directories, but just use the files
/etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab (written by yourself), a listing
of /dev/disk, and the appropriate commands for handling swap.
Also lsblk gives a neat overview.

So I would stop your broken partition with:

# swapoff foo
# swapon --show		(to see the remaining one and check it out)
# nano /etc/fstab	(and comment the bad entry)
# systemctl daemon-reload

rather than editing fstab while the partition is in use.

Cheers,
David.