Re: Installing/launching MATE in a command line environment

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 04:36:56PM +0200, echo test wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you want the desktop environment to be started automatically check that
> systemd is configured to run in graphical environment
>
>  $> systemctl set-default graphical.target
>
> If this is already setup, and you can launch your DE with startx, check also
> that mate is the default DE with update-alternatives(8) or you can add the
> startx command in /etc/profile.

Do not put startx in /etc/profile.

There are many different ways to run X.  One of them is to login on a
console, and run the startx command, either manually, or from your
*personal* (NOT system-wide) ~/.profile.  Typically you would surround
this call with some code that verifies you really are on a Linux console
(e.g. check whether $(tty) matches /dev/tty*) so that it doesn't fire
when you ssh in.

Another is to install a Display Manager, such as lightdm, sddm, gdm3,
xdm, etc.  There are roughly a dozen of 'em.  This is what the Desktop
Environment metapackages do.

Another is to set up "autologin", in such a way that an X session running
as some specific user is launched as soon as you boot.  This is the
common choice for "kiosk" machines.

Once you've chosen how you want to proceed, you can investigate the
details of that particular approach.  With a DM, there really isn't much
you need to know, beyond "what do I click to control the type of session".
With startx, you might choose to write a custom ~/.xsession script to
control your session startup.  I've never done autologin, so I can't say
a lot about it, but I do know that the details of setting it up will
depend on which init system you use.