Re: Advice on encrypted filesystem

On 2020-06-27 01:46, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

The latest recommendation I saw for "cheap flash based" storage is 4MiB
in order to align with erase block sizes, so now I'm starting all my
partitions at 4MiB instead of 1MiB.

Interesting subject -- thanks for bringing it up.  :-)

STFW there does not appear to be a "one size fits all" solution -- the "best" answer depends upon the specific storage device/ controller/ firmware version and specific OS/ kernel/ version.

Given my solid-state system drives are 16+ GB, losing 3 MiB by aligning the partitions at 4 MiB boundaries instead of 1 MiB boundaries is a small sacrifice; just in case it really does matter (now or in the future).

David