Re: dpms control?

On Saturday 27 June 2020 11:26:32 davidson wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>                                                  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
>
> Mark that goal post.

> [snip]

> >> How did that go?
> >
> > I can turn it off, once,
>
>          ^^^^ ^^ ^^^  ^^^^
>
> What does this mean, exactly?
>
> Are you telling us that yes, the requested setting is *obeyed* for the
> duration of that particular X session? (I cannot figure out anything
> else it might mean.)
>
> Like, did you (in that desktop session) get 50 minutes of not-blank
> screentime before standby mode kicked in after you issued
>
>   $ xset dpms 3000 6000 9000
>
> ?
No but it was a couple minutes longer than its carved in stone 7.5 minute
default.

> If so, then David's method does precisely what you asked for in your
> original post, and it would be helpful --for the sake of people
> reading the list archives at least-- for you to confirm that
> unambiguously.
>
> How about it? Yes or No?
>
> > then its back to the 7.5 minute defaults.
> > I've given up. I cannot force it on for more than 7.5 minutes by
> > anything but a mouse wiggler.
>
> I might just come over there and mouse wiggle *you* if you don't drop
> the damn Rodney Dangerfield routine.

Hey, at my age, 85, I've earned that right. ;-) Then too, this IS 2nd
Amendment country.

> Put on your big boy technician pants and properly exchange
> troubleshooting information with your interested peers.

> > And I'm now alone, they finally found a rest home for my missus, but
> > she is quarantined for 2 weeks. At nearly 8g's a month.  Out in the
> > sticks, at least a 1:20 drive from here.  And getting sick of my own
> > cooking, but I've been doing all that since she fell and broke a hip
> > nearly 4 years ago.
>
> New occassions teach new duties. Saw that inscribed in granite
> once. Guess it must be true.

So it seems, TANSTAAFL is a law you cannot break. She is my third, had
her 30 years now. Good woman.

> But take care of yourself, whatever else you do.

I'm trying. My card case, with its spare parts installed list is getting
fat though.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis