Re: why !oh why Debian and application list

On 6/7/20 11:20 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Du, 07 iun 20, 19:23:24, Seeds Notoneofmy wrote:
Well, as the subject suggests, I'm a bit fed up with the logic behind
how installed programs are sorted out in the Applications menu.

The need to go hunt down an installed application seems yester century.

I just installed Picard, and it does not show up in Sound and Video,
where logic would suggest it be.

I had to dial it up from the command line.

I'm willing and ready to be educated on why things are such with Debian.
Debian does very little customization of the various Desktop
Environments, you are experiencing upstream's take on usability.
My personal perception/observation:
the individuals that bundle the DEs configure them differently.
some are "pimped out", some are spartan, by design.

for example, the Mate DE is very spartan... a bit of effort is needed to make it My Way.
this is Good. less cruft, and much better for the low resource machines.

Kind regards,
Andrei