Re: OT: Using a USB hub with 3 computers, 1 printer, 1 external drive (for backup for any of the three PCs)

On Thursday 04 June 2020 14:46:50 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> In a way, the subject covers most of it: " Using a USB hub with 3
> computers, 1 printer, 1 external drive (for backup for any of the
> three PCs)".
>
> I don't know much about USB hubs, I guess all of the ports are two
> way.
>
> To clarify, if needed, I'd like to buy a 5 (or more) port USB (3.0)
> hub to connect 3 PCs, 1 printer, and 1 external drive such that I can
> print or backup from any of the 3 pcs.
>
> I suppose there are two questions:
>
>    1.  Should I expect any problem "hardware wise"?
>
>    2. I suppose I have to consider the mounting of the partitions on
> the drives, I suppose it would be a bad idea to have the same
> partition (or even drive) mounted on more than one pc at the same
> time?
>
> (And I guess I'd have to avoid printing from two computers at the same
> time.)

cups can handle that on your local network, configure cups to run the
printer and mark it as shared. Then with cups installed on the other
machines, they can use those printers just as if they were local to that
machine. I am doing that on a 5 machine local net here. Even works if
you have 2 printers. You'll get your exercise going after the printout,
but I see that as just getting some exercise I need but might not
otherwise get. :-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis